Cars are awesome. Without them, you couldn’t go anywhere.They sure are expensive, though.
Let me take some of the edge off. Here are seven ways to save money on gas.
If you work for a pretty big company, you probably know a co-worker who lives in your neighborhood.
Ask around! There’s no reason to drive separately. Take turns so you can split the cost. You’ll save money and reduce emissions, which will protect the planet you call home. Talk about a win/win!
2 .Check your air filter.
Some mechanics like to sell air filters to people who don’t need them. That doesn’t mean air filters are a scam. A clean air filter improves air flow in your vehicle. If it gets clogged, this can have a detrimental impact on your gas mileage. So, how often should you change your air filter? It depends. Check out the OMV (owner’s manual for your vehicle) to find out.
3. Take care of your tires.
Only 15% of drivers know how to check their tire pressure. The other 85% are wasting a lot of money. According to the US Department of Energy, properly inflated tires can improve your fuel economy by 3%. That would save roughly seven cents per gallon.
4. Stop being in such a rush.
Now that you checked your air filter, take a deep breath and slow down! Most people don’t follow #5-7 because they are in such a hurry, so I thought I should mention this first. Driving is less stressful when you give yourself an extra 10-20 minutes to reach your destination. Worried about being too early? Don’t be. Toss a book in your purse. That will occupy you!
5. Be gentle with the gas pedal.
What’s the point of slamming the gas when a traffic light turns green? The people you wait with at one red light will probably catch up with you at the next one! Be gentle. Flooring that pedal burns up a lot of gas. A gentle touch will save tons of bucks.
6. Don’t tap your brakes too much.
Avoid sudden, jerky movements. They are bad for your fuel economy. It is better to drive at a steady pace. If you need to slow down, don’t slam the brakes. Just take your foot off the gas pedal. This is only possible if you leave a safe distance between you and your bumper buddy ahead of you. 🙂
7. Use cruise control when possible.
It’s hard to maintain a constant speed on a long trip. That’s why cruise control exists. Alternating from 65 to 75 MPH burns more gas than maintaining a steady 70 MPH. Use the tools that are available!
Talk to me
Are there any saving tips you would add to this list? If so, tell us in the comments. Click here to share this blog with your friends so they can save money on gas, too.